2640 is a collectively-managed event space focused on social justice and radical politics. 2640 Space was created in 2007, as a partnership between Red Emma’s and St. Johns United Methodist Church.
HISTORY of the space:
The St. Johns congregation built the church at the corner of 27th Street and St. Paul Avenue, in 1900. In 1981, the church building endured damage from a serious fire, destroying the roof and the congregation’s worship space.
Serving the needs of the communities in Charles Village, Remington and Harwood, St. John’s advocated for racial justice, the LGBT community, and served as a homeless shelter for over 20 years. In the late 1980s, St. Johns served as a “sanctuary church” to house undocumented persons from El Salvador.
In the early 2000’s, the church was led by Reverend Phoenix, the first openly transgendered minister in the United Methodist Church.
In 2007, 2640 Space collective was formed as a partnership between Red Emma’s Bookstore Coffeehouse and St. Johns, in response to both a need for a larger space to hold social justice events, as well as for the need to bring in new audiences into the space.